Garrett County Public Schools (GCPS) sends our heartfelt sympathy to all students, staff, and family members affected by The Covenant School shooting in Nashville, TN, yesterday. As details about the event continue to unfold, GCPS continues to evaluate daily practices, while reflecting on past security put into place.
In recent years, GCPS has made many improvements to ensure the safety of all students and staff is a top priority. Some of these measures include, but are not limited to:
- Adding phones to classrooms
- Upgrading and adding security cameras at all campuses
- Creation of a full-time, year-round Manager of Safety & Security position
- Implementation of a visitor management system and an emergency management system
- Planning and conducting reunification training
- The construction of security vestibules
- Implementation of mandated active assailant training for both students and staff
Furthermore, in collaboration with the Garrett County Sheriff's Department, GCPS schools are staffed with School Resource Officers (SROs) that help monitor schools daily. As we continue to reflect and evaluate daily practices, the safety of students and staff will remain a top priority for GCPS. Parents with concerns are encouraged to contact their local school to learn about location-specific efforts or by contacting Mr. Jeff Gank, Director of Technology and Security, at 301-334-7496.