Our Vision, Mission & Goals
Education is the key to the vitality and sustainability of our community. The Garrett County Public School System maintains an environment in which staff, students, parents, and the community work collectively for a brighter tomorrow. While celebrating the culture and traditions of Garrett County, the schools create an environment where students are nurtured to become productive, enthusiastic, and successful members of society.
Students will be active and engaged learners who enjoy school. They will meet the challenges of robust curricula in a climate that is open, fair, honest, and respectful to all people. Schools, as learning communities, will offer opportunities for students to achieve excellence in their academics and compassion in their interactions and relationships with others.
Partnerships are integral to building a culture of rigorous, high-quality instruction in which excellence in student achievement is normative and ensures learning and success for all students. Community contributions are encouraged and valued. Partnerships support tangibly the innovation and creativity embedded in the school system and will energize the achievement of all students.
Highly-qualified employees will be recruited and hired who –
- Value students, parents, and the larger community
- Create and sustain learning environments in which students can realize their dreams
- Seek continuous improvement through staff development and curriculum implementation
- Immerse themselves within the schools to produce vibrant learning communities
- Demonstrate stewardship of the school system’s resources
Parents and families are critical to the success of students. Their involvement, participation, and engagement in the school system will benefit teaching and learning for all students. In cooperation with school staff, parents and family are important in building their children’s self-confidence and assisting them in acquiring the skills necessary for lifelong success and public engagement.
The mission of Garrett County Public Schools, in partnership with our community, is to inspire and foster student growth by providing rigorous instruction and learning opportunities, sustaining a culture of excellence, and preparing our students for life in an ever-changing world.
- All students will be challenged with a rigorous instructional environment preparing them to become life-long learners and responsible citizens.
- Partnerships with all members of our community will be fostered and strengthened by engaging them in the education of our children.
- All students and staff will learn in a safe, secure, and caring environment where everyone is valued and respected.
- Every department and school will be a good steward of system resources and will manage them in a cost-effective manner.
- All employees will be highly qualified and effective in their jobs contributing to a self-renewing organization.
- We value our local community schools.
- We value academic excellence.
- We value equity in learning experiences and opportunities.
- We value transparency in decision-making to maintain the trust of our communities, parents, students, faculty, and staff.
- We value accessibility to diverse learning experiences.
- We value co-curricular opportunities.
- We value robust special education programs and meeting the needs of our most vulnerable populations.
- We value innovative solutions to financial challenges that align with core values.
- We value efficient and sustainable services and a streamlined and efficient administration that supports the educational mission of Garrett County Public Schools.