Human Resources

      • Welcome! We appreciate your interest in the Garrett County Public Schools!

        Garrett County is the westernmost rural county in the State of Maryland. It borders the states of West Virginia and Pennsylvania and is a four-season resort area. Our mountains, rivers, and lakes offer abundant scenic beauty and recreational activities. Garrett County's natural beauty is the perfect location to work where you love to play.

        As a high-performing school district, Garrett County Public Schools strives for growth and improvement in all facets of the organization. Garrett County Public Schools consist of 7 elementary schools, 1 elementary/middle combination, 2 middle schools, and 2 high schools. We are extremely proud of our students' academic achievement and the staff who teach and support them on a daily basis. The Office of Human Resources and Employee Relations strives to attract and retain highly qualified employees at all levels and classifications.

        Please contact us if you have any questions about our system or the employment process.

        Dr. Jane Wildesen, Director of Human Resources and Employee Relations
        Ms. Angela Flanigan, SPHR, SHRM-SCP, Human Resources Manager
        Mrs. Rebecca Sleeman, SHRM-CP, Human Resources Generalist

      Employment Opportunities

      • View a list of current employment opportunities and/or apply for a position within Garrett County Public Schools.  Paper applications and supporting materials will not be accepted.

        Infographic stating now hiring, click to view a list of current employment opportunities.


        It is the policy and practice of GCPS not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, or handicap in its vocational programs, services, or activities as required by Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended; Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972; and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended. 

        It is the policy and practice of GCPS not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, handicap, or age in its employment practices as required by Title VI of the Civil Rights Acts of 1964, as amended; Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972; the Age Discrimination Act of 1975, as amended; and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended. 

        GCPS will take steps to ensure that lack of English language skills will not be a barrier to admission and participation in all educational and vocational programs.  

        For information about your rights or grievance procedures, contact the Title IX Coordinator, Jane Wildesen [770 Dennett Road Oakland, MD 21550, 301-334-8903,] and/or the Section 504 Coordinator, Brooks Elliott [770 Dennett Road Oakland, MD 21550, 301-334-8950,].



      • The Garrett County Board of Education is required by Maryland State Law to employ individuals who hold valid Maryland certificates or who are eligible for a Maryland certificate in the area in which they will teach. A Maryland teaching certificate is a license to teach in a public school in the State of Maryland. All Garrett County Board of Education employees are required to complete a criminal background check, drug testing, and tuberculin risk assessment prior to their employment.

        Certification And Renewal

        Present certificate holders will renew their certificates under the regulations established on January 1, 2003, by the State of Maryland. Each professional is responsible for knowing the requirements to hold and renew certificates. The State of Maryland issues and recognizes the following certificates.

        Professional Eligibility Certificate (PEC)

        This certificate is issued for five (5) years and renewable for additional five-year periods to an individual who met all requirements for a professional certificate but is not currently employed as a professional in a Maryland school system (renewable with six (6) credits).

        Conditional Degree Certificate (Formerly Provisional)

        This certificate is issued for two (2) years to an individual who holds a bachelor's degree but who does not meet the requirements for a professional certificate. The certificate may be renewed only once after the holder has met Praxis I qualifying scores and completed at least twelve (12) semester hours of required coursework.
        There is a lifetime cap and limit on the number of conditional certificates an individual may receive.

        Standard Professional Certificate-1 (SPC1)

        This certificate is issued for five (5) years at the request of the local school system to an individual employed under a regular contract.  This certificate is renewable only one time at the request of the local superintendent of schools for an individual who, due to a break in service, did not meet the experience requirement to move to the SPCII.  However, these applicants must present six (6) semester hours of acceptable credit to receive the renewed SPC1.

        Standard Professional Certificate-2 (SPC11)

        This certificate is issued for five (5) years to an individual who is employed in a Maryland local school system and has completed the SPC1 certificate and has presented verification of three years of full-time satisfactory professional school-related experience and six (6) semester hours of acceptable credit.
        Upon assurance of the SPCII, a Professional Development Plan-1 (PDP-1) must be completed.

        Extended Standard Professional Certificate-2 (ESPC11)

        This certificate is issued to an individual who received the SPCII certificate but had an interrupted service on the certificate causing the individual to fail to meet the APC experience requirements.  Note, however, that the coursework requirements for the Advanced Professional Certificate APC) must have been met at the time of the request.

        Advanced Professional Certificate (APC)

        This certificate is issued for five years upon verification of an approved Master's degree or verification of the completion of 36 semester hours of post-baccalaureate approved credit.
        The 36 semester hours must consist of a minimum of 21 approved graduate credits.  The remaining 15 semester hours may consist of approved MSDE continuing professional development credits and/or approved post-baccalaureate undergraduate credits. Regardless of the route, at least 6 of the credits must be acceptable credits taken within the last 5 years.  A Professional Development Plan-2 (PDP-2) must be submitted for each APC renewal. In addition, the individual must present verification of 3 years of full-time satisfactory, school-related experience, and a PDP-2 for the subsequent APC.
        Professional  Development Plan 1 and 2 forms and suggested activities and renewal credits are located on the attachment section of this page.


        What is a Renewal Unit/Credit? Can anyone use these units/credits to renew a certificate?

        A renewal credit allows APC certificate holders to renew their certificates. Renewal units are specific to Garrett County Public Schools and can only be used to renew an Advanced Professional Certificate.

        How do I renew my Advanced Professional Certificate?

        To renew an APC, you must successfully complete six credits or renewal units. Credits / Units can be earned through college coursework or MSDE workshops. Renewal credits can be earned by completing graduate courses and/or approved activities determined by the school principal/supervisor in lieu of college courses.

        All courses or activities for renewal credits must be discussed and approved by your immediate supervisor (principal) prior to enrollment and should support the goals of your Professional Development Plan. Activities should have a direct impact/relationship to your job responsibilities (e.g. delivery of instruction).  All reading courses required for certification must be satisfied before renewal credits/units can be submitted for certificate renewal.

        The Office of Human Resources will be responsible for sending the Professional Development Plans to the employees to complete with assistance from their principal/supervisor.  The form must have a signature and date from the employee and principal/supervisor. A copy should be made and placed in the employee's file at the school before forwarding it to the Office of Human Resources for signatures and placement in the employee's personnel file.

        What happens if I don’t get the appropriate documentation to the Human Resources Office and my certificate expires?

        Every teacher must hold a valid certificate to teach in any Maryland Public School. Without a certificate, you lose your status as a teacher and are no longer employed by the Garrett County School System as a contractual teacher. If you do not meet the requirements to renew a Professional Certificate, you can move to a Conditional Certificate for two years to complete your missing coursework. If you do not complete the requirements in the two-year validity period, you cannot get another certificate. The Department of Human Resources must have your coursework 12 weeks before your certificate expires.

        Is there a fee to renew my certificate?   How do I pay for it?

        Each certificate renewal requires a $10 fee.   The $10 fee will be automatically deducted from a paycheck. For additional information about teacher certification, please visit the MSDE website.

      Substitute/Contractual Staff Info

      • We appreciate your interest in becoming a substitute teacher for Garrett County Public Schools. Substitute teachers play a vital role in the overall success of our educational system. In the absence of a teacher, learning must continue, and without sound, dependable substitute teachers, this would not be possible. You play an essential role in delivering continuity of instruction and can help make a difference in students’ lives!

        Perks of being a substitute teacher:

        • Choose your own schedule and schools
        • Build skills and gain valuable experience
        • Earn a steady paycheck with competitive pay
        • Benefits include sick and safe leave and 403(b)


        Minimum Requirements

        Applicants must possess a minimum of a high school diploma or GED and be at least 21 years of age. However, applicants currently enrolled in a college or university may be 20 years of age or older. 

        Application Packet

        To be considered for a substitute teacher position, an applicant must complete the online application.

        Pre-employment Requirements

        All employees must complete and pass a criminal background check and drug screening at their own expense. The Office of Human Resources must receive results before the start date.

        Click here to access the GCA Procedures Document for Substitute Teachers.


        Substitute teachers can work a full day (7.1 hours) or a half-day (3.55 hours), not to exceed 129.5 hours monthly. Pay is bi-weekly.

        Substitute Teacher Pay

                $117.15/full day or $16.50 per hour, AA, ParaPro, or High School Diploma

                $129.58/full day or $18.25 per hour, Non–MSDE Certificated with Bachelor’s Degree or higher

                $134.90/full day or $19.00 per hour, MSDE Certificated 

        Increased rates will apply in long-term positions.

        Substitute Instructional Assistant

        $108.28/day or $15.25 per hour

        For more information, please contact the Human Resources Department at 301.914.1334.

        Substitute Secretary

        Subs for a 12-month secretary work 8 hours each day.

        $122.00/day or $15.25/per hour days 1-9, $128.00/day or $16.00/per hour days 10+.

        Subs for a 10-month secretary work 7.1 hours per day.

        $108.28/day or $15.25/per hour days 1-9, $113.60/day or $16.00/per hour days 10+.  

        Cafeteria & Custodial

        $15.25/per hour days 1-9, $15.75/per hour days 10+.

      EAP - Employee Assistance Program

      • EAP- Employee Assistance Program 

        Below is a 30-minute webinar about our Employee Assistance Plan (EAP) through Deer Oaks.  You'll learn about the many free services available for you as an active GCPS employee and your household members including: 

        • Program Access- including the iConnectYou mobile App
        • Short- Term Counseling
        • Referrals & Community Resources
        • Legal Assistance 
        • Financial Assistance
        • Take the Highroad
        • Life Coaching
        • Work- Life Services
        • Child & Elder Care Referrals
        • And more! 

        RETIREES and your household members continue to have access to EAP services for up to 6 months post retirement! These services include:

        • 24/7 Assistance via the Helpline
        • Short-Term Individual & Marital Counseling
        • Referrals to Community Resources & Support Groups
        • Access to Online Articles, Tools, Tips & Resources
        • Interactive Online Will Preparation
        • Consultation with Attorneys & Financial Counselors to Discuss Legal/Financial Aspects of Retirement
        • Assistance in Obtaining Medical, Financial, Legal or Aging Services



        Click below:

        EAP Orientation Presentation  

        Mastering Your Money During Difficult Times



        Deer Oaks contact information:

        Toll-free: 1-866-327-2400


        Username & Password for GCPS employees: garrettcountyschools


      Benefits- ACTIVE and RETIREE Under 65 (RU)

      • Healthiest Maryland Business Award

        Insurance Benefits

        Garrett County Public Schools provide many benefits to ensure that you and your family enjoy a healthy and secure lifestyle today and in the future. Our benefits are comprehensive and easy to use. We consider them to be more than a paycheck. It is the employee's responsibility to inform the BOE whenever they undergo a life status change so their records can be updated. Employees receive some benefits automatically and at no cost. They may select other benefits which will incur a cost to the employee. However, these costs may be managed through our convenient payroll deduction system.


        Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance

        The Garrett County Board of Education ("Board") employees and families are covered under medical, prescription, dental, and vision insurance plans.

        The employee's share of any premium is paid by payroll deduction. The Board provides an open enrollment period for employees each year prior to the beginning of the new policy year. Open enrollment is the only time throughout the year when an employee can switch plans. The open enrollment period usually occurs in April / May.

        Our medical plan is a self-funded plan. We adopted this type of plan for many reasons, including premium tax savings, the ability to hold our own reserves, and to avoid the numerous and costly benefits mandated by the State of Maryland.

        Delta Dental is the carrier for our dental insurance. Delta Dental is one of the largest networks with three out of four dentists in the United States participating. Participating dentists are paid their respective allowances. Employees are provided an ID card that includes their group and enrollee numbers. Employees are encouraged to carry their ID card with them and present it whenever they or one of their eligible dependents receive dental services. Further information can be obtained by contacting Delta Dental at 1-800-932-0783 or visiting their website at

        National Vision Administrators (NVA) is the carrier of our vision insurance. NVA was established in 1979 and is one of the nation’s leading vision care benefit administrators. The NVA vision care program offers optical retailers, solo practitioners, discounts on non-covered items, laser surgery, contact lenses, fully funded discount program options, and aggressive cost and quality management. Employees are provided an ID card that includes their sponsor and card member numbers. The card is to be used to obtain eye care services from providers who have an agreement with NVA. Further information can be obtained by contacting NVA at 1-866-468-2393 or visiting their website at to learn more about NVA’s alternative approach to vision benefits.

        23-24 Privacy Notice

        24-25 Biometric Screening- for Dr to complete and provide back to you to enter into your CareFirst Wellness site


        FY 24-25 SNAPSHOT of WELLBEING INCENTIVES for ACTIVE and RETIRESS UNDER 65 (RU) with MEDICAL Coverage through CareFirst

        (Please refer to communications from Rebecca Sleeman your HR Generalist) 

        GCPS 24-25 Wellbeing Options

        FY 23-24 SNAPSHOT of WELLBEING INCENTIVES for recent NEWHIRES with MEDICAL Coverage through CareFirst

        (Please refer to communications from Rebecca Sleeman your HR Generalist)   

        GCPS 24-25 Wellbeing Options for New Hires


        Webinars brought to you by CareFirst's Wellness Credits through Blue Rewards Program:

        Decoding Diabetes



        Life Insurance

        The Garrett County Board of Education provides term life insurance in the amount of $25,000.00 for each employee. This includes a double indemnity. The GCBOE also provides a $1,000.00 term life insurance for each dependent including spouse and children. During the fall of each year, annual enrollment is conducted for Supplemental Life Insurance. Coverage is available in $10,000.00 increments up to $200,000.00. Our employees receive an application and information about this additional coverage. Employees are encouraged to complete the application only if they are applying for additional Supplemental Life coverage. They must adhere to the deadline noted on the forms.

        Family Medical Leave Act

        The Family Medical Leave Act requires employers to provide up to 12 weeks of unpaid, job-protected leave to "eligible" employees for certain family and medical reasons. Garrett County employees are eligible if they have worked for the BOE for at least one year and for at least 1,250 hours.

        Qualification for FMLA

        • An employee must have a serious personal illness certified by their physician
        • An employee may have a serious illness of a member of their immediate family certified by the family member's physician
        • The birth, adoption, or foster care placement

        Definition of 12 Work Weeks

        • Twelve (12) weeks during which at least three (3) of the five (5) days would have been scheduled workdays
        • If intermittent leave is requested, these weeks would translate to thirty (30) days

        Procedure for Requesting FMLA

        • A request must be made in writing to the Human Resources Office at least 30 days prior to the start of the leave, except in the case of an emergency or unforeseeable event. Forms (FMLA 1) and (FMLA 2) are to be used for this purpose. Please be sure to email your request with a brief description (if it is needed for yourself of care of a family member) to  Rebecca Sleeman, HR Generalist
        • All qualifying leaves will be considered Family Medical Leave for the purpose of providing benefits. The Human Resources Office will notify the employee of the designation of such leave.
        • The employee will present a statement from the certifying physician prior to the beginning of the leave and prior to the return from leave. Form (FMLA 4) may be used for this purpose.

        Benefits of FMLA

        • Employee's insurance benefits will continue to be paid by the GCBOE in the same amount as prior to the start of the leave for up to 12 weeks. However, due to the Board's billing arrangement with UMR, these are paid on a monthly basis. When the 12-week period ends prior to the end of a calendar month, the employee will be charged a pro-rated amount for insurance premiums if the employee does not return to work at that point in time or does not work for at least 11 days within that month.
        • An employee who does not return from leave may be required to reimburse the Board for benefits paid during the unpaid portion of the Family Medical Leave.



      Benefits- RETIREE Over 65 (RO)

      • What to expect when turning 65 as a GCPS retiree that currently has medical coverage

        You'll receive the following materials from GCPS HR:

        Health Matter Medicare Booklet 2022

        Select Quote Age-IN Letter


        What to expect when aging up into a new bracket

        NAVIA Age Up Letter   



        Select Quote Senior (remember this company as your shopper for your Supplemental insurance and note that you're only required to have Supplemental plan through SQ Senior in order to keep/maintain your GCPS program):

        Phone: (844) 851-7657 and select Option #1 (to shop for plan)

        (M-F, 8am to 7pm, CST and Sat, 9am to 3pm, CST)


        NAVIA  (remember this company as your reimburser): 

        Phone: (866) 897-1996


        Fax: (866) 535-9227

        Mail: Navia Benefit Solutions

                 PO BOX 53250

                 Bellevue, WA 98015

        Note: For Medicare premiums deducted from your Social Security check, provide your
        "Proof of Income Letter" from the Social Security Administration, sometimes called a budget,
        benefits, or proof of award letter. For lost letters, you can request a Proof of Income Letter by
        contacting the Social Security Administration at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) or

        Maryland State Retirement and Pension:

      Negotiated Agreements

      Salary Scales

      Important Links

      Risk Management

      • Student Incident Reporting: After completing this form please either fax or email back to RISK Management-HR Dept; Dr. Jane Wildesen, Director of HR and Employee Relations and Rebecca Sleeman, HR Generalist and FN Dept: Gloria Smith, Director of Finance at 301-334-8600. If you have any questions, please call 301-334-8929.

         Student Incident Form


        Employee Incident Reporting - Worker's Compensation

        The Garrett County Board of Education Worker's Compensation Insurance is through the Maryland Association of Boards of Education (MABE) Workers Compensation Group Insurance of Annapolis, Maryland. MABE provides injured workers with an integrated system of benefits that offers quality medical care and a timely return to work.

        What is Worker's Compensation Insurance?

        Maryland employers are required by law to carry Worker's Compensation insurance. This insurance provides payment of medical expenses and lost wages that are a direct result of a compensable, on-the-job injury.

        What does Worker's Compensation Pay?

        The insurance pays for medical bills, lost wages due to disability, prescriptions, durable medical equipment, and vocational rehabilitation services.

        What should I do if I sustain an on-the-job injury?

        The most important steps are to immediately report the injury.  If 911 does not need to be called, the employee will dial the Company Nurse Line and follow up with their school administrator/supervisor (if 911 does need to be called, HR will follow up with the employee at a later time to complete documentation and will ask that the Supervisor's Incident Report and Witness Statement forms be completed in the meantime). 

        If needed for supporting documentation, these two different accident investigation forms (i.e., by the supervisor, and by witnesses) must be faxed to 301-334-8066 or emailed to Rebecca Sleeman - HR Generalist. Once these forms are faxed, the original copies must be sent to the Office of Human Resources and Employee Relations via pony mail. 

        Employee Accident Procedure - Calling Company Nurse

        Infographic highlighting steps needed for Company Nurse as outlined in link above.

        WK Comp Supervisor's Incident Report - Might Need  

        WK Comp Accident Witness Statement - Might Need 


        Visitor Incident Reporting: After completing this form please either fax or email back to RISK MANAGEMENT- HR Dept; Dr. Jane Wildesen, Director of HR and Employee Relations and Rebecca Sleeman, HR Generalist and FN Dept: Gloria Smith, Director of Finance at 301-334-8600. If you have any questions please call 301-334-8929.

        Visitor Incident Form